Sunday 25 May 2008

Hull City fan? No thanks

So yesterday, Hull City got promoted. I was at The Deep at the time, and it came on the radio, and people were shouting and generally being really ecstatic. How depressing is that? This time last year I had one of the best days of my life, in a packed pub watching Derby get promoted. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere. The whole city was elated. And then we were relegated after just one season in the top flight, and Hull have been promoted.

It got me thinking, about where I'm from, where I consider home, why I don't feel any association with the football team of the city I've lived in for 3 years. I do love Hull, and I love living here. I miss it when I'm away, and coming back here feels more like coming home than going to Derby does sometimes. If people ask, I'll say that I live in Hull, but originally came from Derby. In the past, I'd have just said Derby and left it at that. This place is home, for the moment. Still, however crappy being in Derby can be lately, and however much my ties to the city are disappearing, and even though Hull is a better night out and has a better shopping centre, Derby is still where I'm from and I still have that problem of defending it when people have something to say. Maybe that's why I have no interest in the football team here, and why I really didn't like seeing their celebrations. Back in second year, I remember listening to Hull v Derby on the radio. It was awful. You don't realise how biased football commentary is until they're biased against your team. Derby lost, either 1-0 or 2-1, and listening to them bash my team was not fun.

I guess this is why I don't understand people who don't support their local team. I can't imagine supporting a team other than Derby. I've lived here, and been around Hull people, for 3-4 years now, and I still have no connection to their sports. I also have no interest in defending the city when people start having a go.

I feel like this is one of the most unstructured and going-nowhere posts I've made in this blog, but I'm not thinking right at the moment. I had a point to this when I was thinking about it yesterday, but it's got lost somewhere. I think I'm coming down with something. My throat isn't good and I keep coughing, and I'm tired. Oh, and I can't find anything I want to watch.


----------------
Now playing: Oasis - Born On A Different Cloud
via FoxyTunes

No comments: