Monday 13 October 2008

Oasis in Sheffield

Wow. The setlist was exactly like the one I found on another blog a few days ago, making it the best setlist I've ever heard them play, and this was the 5th time I've seen them. Liam's voice has definitely improved, as shown by I'm Outta Time. Noel's acoustic Don't Look Back in Anger was just fantastic, as that song always is live anyway. There's nothing better than thousands of people singing the same song, and in an arena, it's totally different to an outdoor stadium in the way it sounds. It was cool to hear how he wrote it 14 years ago in the dressing room at in Sheffield too...and expected a different reception this time he played it.

Other highlights include The Masterplan, which is always good to hear live, and then most definitely Slide Away. I never, ever thought I'd hear my favourite song played live. This is a Definitely Maybe song which was never even a single. Popular yes, but not one you'd think they'd put back into a live set 6 albums later. I'm so glad they did, and so is every other person in there who sung every word. Most Oasis fans will recognise Slide Away as one of their greatest songs.

The only fault in the Oasis set was Liam stumbling on I Am The Walrus. He missed his cue, but it totally did not matter at all. Liam Gallagher can get away with that on stage, and no one cared. The fault in the whole evening though was a bit bigger, and that was Twisted Wheel. We decided that they were somewhere between The Coral and The Arctic Monkeys, and nowhere near as good as either. The Coral might be boring, and it might be funny that I keep seeing them as a consequence of seeing better bands, but I missed them last night when Twisted Wheel were on. The were pretty crap.

Still, once again, I think I can say that last night was the best I've ever seen Oasis play, and the best setlist I've seen the play. Not as close to the front as I was in Cardiff in 2005, but every gig is a different experience.

Edited to add the full setlist, since a few people have been Googling it, coming here, and then not finding it:


Fuckin' In The Bushes
Rock N Roll Star
Lyla
The Shock Of The Lightning
Cigarettes And Alcohol
Meaning Of Soul
To Be Where There's Life
Waiting For The Rapture
The Masterplan
Songbird
Slide Away
Morning Glory
Ain't Got Nothin'!
The Importance Of Being Idle
I'm Outta Time
Wonderwall
Supersonic

Don't Look Back In Anger (acoustic)
Falling Down
Champagne Supernova
I Am The Walrus

No comments: