Wednesday 5 December 2007

Save Derby Playhouse

I was absolutely gutted to find out, when I was home last weekend, that Derby Playhouse has been put into administration (it was actually liquidation when I first found out) and has closed it's doors. Gutted because I was excited about seeing Treasure Island this winter, and gutted because I've seen some fantastic shows there in the past and had some great memories. A city without a producing theatre? It's not right.

The Christmas productions there have been great for the last few years. I didn't go last year because they put A Christmas Carol on again, I think because they were preparing to shut for refurbishment, and I'd seen that a couple of years before. It was great though, when I did see it a few years back. Merlin, too, was a really good play. I've seen a few productions with performances that wouldn't have been out of place in the West End. When you think that this is just a small theatre, with neither the money or the resources London theatres have, what they do is so impressive. To think that Derby have lost that is horrible.

I'd have loved to have been there for that last performance of Treasure Island. It went ahead without consent of the board, and all staff were unpaid. They opened the doors to the public and the Playhouse was packed, with people sitting in the aisles. They've had a few protests in Derby, and I wish I could have been there too. If they have another while I'm around, I'll definitely go.

http://www.savederbyplayhouse.org

EDIT - Okay, so I've managed to make a slight difference. I got 4 people to join the Facebook group, after I posted it :)

No comments: